View Single Post
Old 05-09-07, 08:34 PM
zimbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like even toward the end of the race that your heart rate is still recovering on the downhill section, which is a good sign. I think if it were me I would run out of anaerobic work capacity before I ran out of aerobic capacity and perhaps that's what happening to you--especially if there are near-the-back-of-the-pack surges in addition to that hill.

Does this crit have a section where people seem to be sort of waiting or recovering such that you could move up without too much effort? I don't know the course but from your ride data it appears as though there's a section where people pick up speed without pedaling, followed by a sharp corner. In a recent crit I did I found that holding position up the hill required a lot of effort but if I could just make it to the top without losing position then everyone seemed to really soft-pedal or coast for the next little while preceding the downhill section. So I was essentially able to make up a lot of ground on the pack by continuing to pedal after the hill and then get back in line prior to the bottom-of-the-hill turn.

Alternatively, why not make it a goal to line up at the front of the race?

Riding for two hours on race day--even if it's just tooling around--also seems, um, counter-productive. That's a ride that would be better for the day before the race.

--Steve