Old 05-10-07, 01:50 PM
TheSergeant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Campagnolo Pista Crankset/BB Issues

Here's my issue: I have a set of Vintage Campagnolo 165 Pista cranks (non-date coded) that are going onto a Bob Jackson Vigorelli (68mm BB). I am having some issues tracking down a bottom bracket for this crank. Which of these options are the most viable?

Here is the crank:

1) New Campagnolo AC-H 111mm Symmetrical BB. Vintage campy need 109mm BB so the chainring would be set 1mm to the right.. Could I use a 1mm Freewheel Cassette Spacer on my wheelset, followed by my cog and then lockring to make up for the 1mm offset? Are the taper compatible? Cost: $30

2) Phil Wood BB "BRS11". Which is a 68mm BB w/ 111mm spindle and JIS taper. Phil Woods have 5mm worth of chainline adjustment and as they describe on their website: "JIS & older non Low Profile cranks (’93 & earlier Campagnolo cranks)". So I'm assuming that's the correct taper. It also worries me because it leads me to believe that Option #1 won't work because the taper is from a "94' & Later Campagnolo crank" (which they designate as ISO taper - Campagnolo). Is this the right BB? Total Cost ~$150

3) Lastly. I have an older Campy BB marked "68 - SS" which is for a double and is 114mm/asymmetrical. I have an opportunity to get "68-P-120" spindle, which is 109mm. My question is will that spindle fit into my existing cups? I know that the cups required must be "thin" as opposed to "thick cups". I just can't tell which cups I have. Would this work?

Thanks guys!