View Single Post
Old 05-10-07, 04:11 PM
splytz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
Do you know what your Dad's cholestrol level is by chance? Just as importantly, do you know what yours is?
My dad had had his cholesterol checked pretty frequently the last 15 years or so. It always hovered between 200 and 250. More recently it's gone a little higher. His doctor told him he was a borderline case for drugs and was loath to put him on Lipitor for the rest of his life; now, my dad feels as though he should have gone on a low dose at the very least (hindsight is 20/20).

I had my cholesterol checked a couple years ago. It was low. But unlike my dad I know about eating oatmeal every morning, staying away from eggs, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and keeping saturated fat to a minimum (in addition to exercising regularly, etc.). Nevertheless I will get it checked again soon.

His diet has not been what it could be in the last 7 years, when my parents got divorced. He eats a lot of prepackaged food which I suspect is full of saturated fat, salt, and cholesterol. His heredity and diet are certainly the two main contributors to his disease.

Thanks for all the kind and helpful words.