View Single Post
Old 05-10-07, 07:03 PM
MajorA
Prodigal road guy

Bikes: '72 Bob Jackson; '82 Austro-Daimler Starleicht; '85 Scapin; '80 Peugeot PKN-10; '81 Trek 610; '87 Hunter Corsa; '72 Italvega and '75 Motobecane Grand Jubillee frames built into freewheel singlespeeds.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dumb tubular question

I realize that there's a separate thread for tubular topics, but thought that a stand-alone thread would stand a better chance of a response ...

I just bought my first set of tubular tires to mount on a nice wheelset (Campy Victory Strada rims laced to Campy Record hubs) that I stumbled into a while back. I put them on the wheels, unglued, just to see how much of a wrestling match it would be when there's glue all over everything, and because I read one guy's post who recommended inflating them on the rims at low pressure, unglued, for a day or two before installing them for real. Here's the question:

On the tires I bought (Vittoria Rally) the valve stem isn't threaded, i.e. there's no threaded collar which snugs the valve against the rim ... it's just kinda poking out of the hole, which nothing to secure it there, other than the eventual glue, and air pressure, I guess. Are a lot of tubular valve stems unthreaded? And is there some voodoo to installing them that I should know about?

Thanks.