View Single Post
Old 05-12-07, 08:07 AM
Doug5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince077
...I'm a big guy... 6' and approx 300#. I started looking at bikes last weekend with my g/f and was overwhelmed with concerns that the bikes I was looking at would not support me....
I got an interest in motorized bicycles over the last year or so.
Even though most of these motor kits don't run faster than about 30-mph or so, it's very common to crack and break frames with them as well as other parts--even if the bike is only ever used on-road. Most modern bikes you see are made to be lightweight, and not really all that strong.

One of the brands of bikes that has the best reputation for durability with a motor is not-hardly a "racing" bike at all--it's the American Classic cruiser from Worksman Cycles: http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s.../cruisers.html

These bikes are made basically the same way that newsboy cruisers were made in the 1950's and 1960's--of relatively thick steel, with not much regard to weight. Everywhere I asked about them, I got the same feedback; they are tanks. If you are riding a Worksman and manage to break it, then it's a good bet that most anything else would have broken as well.

I ordered one off the website and was told 30-45 days for delivery. If you can find a local dealer, they have some "pull" with the factory and can sometimes get you one faster than that.
~