View Single Post
Old 05-12-07, 08:46 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The "perfect" bike depends a lot on your size and weight. Regarding the Terry Madeleine, it looks like it is equipped of sidepull brakes, which severely limit tire size. It would probably limit your tire size to something like 700x28, maybe even smaller if you use fenders. That's probably not a problem if you ride on asphalt and weigh around 100 lb, but otherwise it will feel like a road bike in disguise. And if you ride a smaller frame, you'll be stuck with dual-size wheels (700c and 24"). While I think it's a good idea in theory, it means you'll have to carry two spare tires on tour. Besides, the selection of 24" tires is limited.

I would suggest that you consider a few other bikes:

- Trek 520 and Cannondale Txxx : but only if you are taller than 5'4", because these come only with 700c wheels. The Trek definitely has too high gearing for touring, so negociate either new rings (say 48-38-24) or a new crankset (say LX or XT with 44-34-22).
Both bikes should fit with a very short stem with an upright angle.

- Surly LHT : comes with the proper gearing and smaller sizes come with 26" wheels, which means better geometry. Install narrow or medium-width slick tires (say 26" x 1.2" or 1.4", high pressure, no threads), and you'll have a performance that rivals 700c tires. And right now, I think the U.S. price is terrific.

- Bruce Gordon. It's a sturdy touring bike that comes with perfect gearing, and the smaller sizes come with 26" wheels.

As for buying a "Women-specific bike", most of them simply have:
– a women's saddle;
– narrower handlebars;
– sometimes, a slightly shorter top tube (a shorter stem may do the same).
In most cases, you may be able to get all this for free at the LBS when you buy a bike.