Old 05-12-07, 10:00 PM
JRA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
You really shouldn't equate (and I don't mean to talk down to you by telling you how to think) personalities with ideas. Not that it's not tempting, but there are many cyclists who share some of John Forester's views on certain aspects of cycling that do not share his confrontational personality...

I have sometimes cringed at the overly strong language John Forester has used to ridicule his opponents. But by the same token, his opponents on this board have not exactly been angels, man...
You are right, LBM, John Forester's opponents have not always been angels. I would argue that both sides have, on occasion, discredited themselves. I would futher argue that it is in John Forester's nature and one of his distinguishing charateristics. For some (but, sadly, not all) of his opponents, it's out of character.

I have taken quite a few hits myself, just because I admitted I agreed with the man about some things. But agreeing about some things does not make one a "disciple," "acolyte," etc. (you get the picture, enough of that.)

But seriously, do you not notice that I, myself, have attempted on many occasions to bridge the gap between these opposing groups?
I have noticed that and I have also noticed that you have taken some hits. From my perspective the hits have not always been entirely undeserved although I can understand how you might have a different opinion. In any case, I have always thought of you as someone who at least tries to see both sides.

Misconceptions are common. I don't doubt that some think I'm a strong facilities proponent, even though nothing could be further from the truth.

My hope is that I can remain honest in my opinions, regardless of which side of the fence those opinions fall, and that you (and other cyclists) can separate personality from viewpoint.
I have always tried very hard to separate personality from viewpoint. But sometimes personality dictates the viewpoint

Nobody is cut out like cookies on a sheet. And that's a really good thing, don't you think?
Oh, yes, diversity is a very good thing. It is one of the things I treasure and appreciate most. What a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

Little boxes, little boxes
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes, little boxes
Little boxes all the same

There's a red one and a green one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

(the preceeding was a tribute to urban sprawl)

Green Douglas Fir where the water cut through
Down her wild mountains and canyons she flew
Canadian northwest to the ocean so blue
Roll on, Columbia, roll on

Other great rivers lend power to you
Yakima, Snake and the Klickitat, too
Sandy, Willammette and the Hood River, too
Roll on, Columbia, roll on

(what is this obession with rivers?)

I make my home
On the Mississippi
I'm a roustabout
On a steamboat line...

---

I'm as free as a breeze
And I ride where I please
Saddle tramp, saddle tramp.

Different enough for ya, LBM?

Last edited by JRA; 05-12-07 at 10:24 PM.