Old 05-13-07, 03:04 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbhikes
In answer to the original question, I can relate.

I came here seeking camraderie to help me keep to my personal pledge to ride my bike to work. I asked a few "how do I handle this situation" questions. Got some helpful advice, until the stuff about how I shouldn't have pulled over to avoid being hit by a beer truck (Red Flag #1), and how stupid I am to ride in bike paths and bike lanes, and all that other stuff.

Talk about showing off your sausage, there's been a whole lot of sausage-showing in the "take the lane" BS I've heard. *Pulls up pants, sniffs* Well, I wouldn't ride in that dangerous shoulder where the logging trucks might overlook my sausage. I would always take the lane and only pull over after my log-sized sausage was adequately acknowledged! Puhleeze! (Red Flag #2)

I gave some thought to the ideas I heard, but many of them came with too much anti-bike lane baggage to make any sense in the conditions I ride in daily. For instance, I tried the "ride in the lane and only pull over to let people pass" idea, and decided it was not a good plan, then was told I have a low IQ because clearly I was incapable of comprehending such a plan. (Red Flag #3)

Then the Lord and Master of the ones who diagnosed my mental deficiencies came on board and the whole crowd has taken on a fever pitch of negativity and rank sexism (Red Flag #4) that simply leads me to say I won't ever advocate anything to anybody that might lead anyone to this crowd.

It's not that vehicular cycling is wrong. I just can't understand what good it will accomplish to ridicule and berate people and tell them they are suffering from superstitions and mental disorders. That's crazy talk and puts you on my ignore list.

Apparently, if the conversations I have with real world advocates are any indication, the "ignore list" is where these people end up anyway.
Maybe message boards are not the best place to get to know people?