Old 05-13-07, 08:31 PM
sgtsmile
Speed Demon *roll eyes*

Bikes: 1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I dont understand about this whole debate is why anyone really cares anyway.

Who really cares if someone is in a bike lane or in the middle of a lane? Both can be ridden safely if the person riding is paying attention. There are situations where the bike lane is safer, and there are situations where taking the lane is safer. I like my bike lanes. The ones near where I live are about 2 m wide and give me a spot away from traffic that often moves at 100kmph. Before they fixed the road, the road was hamburger, and "taking the lane" was not a wise move (due in large part to a lot of blind summits). However, in our downtown, I own the right lane and stay out of the door zone. Why is it that some here would flay me alive for liking the bike lanes when it makes sense to and others would burn me at the stake for taking a lane when it makes sense to? Never understood that one.

It is the dogmatic adherance to one form of riding as being superior to another that I honestly do not understand. It is as nonsensical as insisting that people who commute are not serious cyclists and that if you are in spandex you are a poser. Both are bigotted views, and quite frankly, annoying and rude.

What I appreciate and have learned from this forum is how easy it is to be assertive and communicate what I need to do to remain safe to motorists. Since I got better at that, I have had almost zero issues with other road users. Thanks for that, it is appreciated.

We are all individuals here, and all ride bikes. That, and an ability to speak something resembling English, are what most of us have in common with each other. Some of us like bike paths, some like bike lanes, some ride VC, some ride to work, some mtn bike, some road race, and some do all of those depending on where they are and on what bike they are on.

I am not suggesting we have a group hug, but perhaps keeping the debate civil would not hurt. Then maybe, people will feel able to ask questions and not get jumped on.