Old 05-14-07, 11:22 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
The GBCs are a joy to ride; they feel absolutely wonderful, and the other fat clinchers that I've ridden don't come close to that. Personally, I'm a lot less enthusiastic about riding a bike that doesn't feel that great, so I'm willing to put up with a lot for a good feeling bike.
Indeed. I should point out that I was very reluctant to switch out the Cypres. That pimple problem on the rear tire was the deal breaker as it compromised the comfort factor, and I could just imagine it bursting 250km into a 600km and leaving me trying to work magic with dollar bills in the middle of Vermont or New Hampshire. Also, the 700x30 size was just large enough that I would get rubbing on my Honjo fenders if they weren't installed just right. So, it was just a combination of factors. Ironically, as fragile as the tires may have been, they've only flatted on commutes ... never on brevets.

The weather plays havoc with the roads of the Northeast, which amplifies the importance of the 'perfect' comfort tire -- one that is supple and light enough for comfort and speed, but also durable enough to take the occasional pothole and gravel strewn stretch.

Each to his own, eh? I hope you have better luck with the next batch!
Thanks!