Old 05-14-07, 01:47 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pj7
However, I do not agree that there is any type of undiagnosed (or diagnosed by you or JF) syndrome that everyone in the public has (other than VCists) that cause them to feel they are inferior to motorists. Rather I feel that motor traffic is superior or pedal traffic.
Well, if you feel that motor traffic is superior to pedal traffic, then you also feel that pedal traffic is inferior to motor traffic. Are you trying to make a distinction between traffic, as a kind of collective noun, and the people who carry it on? For example, it is obvious that on the basis of ton-miles-per-hour, motor traffic is superior to pedal traffic. But so what? That is irrelevant when discussing the proper way for cyclists to behave in traffic, which is a matter of relationships between drivers.

I suggest that your statement, if it has any relevance to this discussion, carries the meaning that you feel that cyclists are inferior to motorists in some way or another. Which is precisely the meaning of cyclist-inferiority attitude, without considering the varying strengths that it exhibits in different people.