View Single Post
Old 05-14-07, 04:58 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
After exhaustive research (okay, after 20 years of listening to people complain about their butts ) I have determined that sore heinys are the number one cyclist complaint. So welcome aboard.

First, put me in the camp that believes the average tuckus will toughen up with miles. Early on in a rider's career -- and after any long layoff -- the rear end is easily irritated. With saddle time, most butts toughen up. So there's that.

Secondly, I'd be willing to bet most experienced cyclists have a box full of saddles in the garage. Most all of us have experimented with different saddles. A few have found -- or claim to have found, anyway -- saddle Nirvana. Lots of folks in that category use leather saddles, usually from Brooks. Lots of folks also have leather Brooks saddles rotting away in the above mentioned box, however. I've been riding in various capacities for a couple of decades and still haven't found the "It's like sitting on a cloud!" saddle. And there's another one waiting on my doorstep when I get home. Maybe it'll be the one. Maybe not. You might end up a member of that club too.

Anyway, I'd say you should probably stick with what you've got for a while longer. Build experience and miles and see if the problem improves. If not, then get out the old credit card, look around for suggestions, and do your part for the economy.

Oh, as to "getting fitted": IMO it's sort of overrated. If your position on the bike is really wrong, like by inches, then an experienced eye will do you some good. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that if you can just find the right guru he'll mumble some incantation, move your saddle back 2.4 mm and your life will be blissful from then on. It don't work like that and anyone who says it does is trying to fleece you.

Were I you, I'd find the local bike club and see if you can't get an experienced rider or higher level racer to set things up for you for free. (That's the way it was done before the Lance boom, anyway.) Failing that, then there are worse ways to waste your money than paying the LBS to set you up -- but make sure it's not some 17 year old BMX kid doing it, and don't spend $75 or $100 for the boutique treatment. An experienced fellow can get you into the ballpark in 15 minutes or so, and there's no reason in the world why it should cost more than $30 at the outside. There's no magic at work here!