Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
When was this removed from the CVC?

"21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway."

Why are there still signs on the freeways that read "Slower Traffic Keep Right"?
It's not entirely clear to me that someone going 70 in the fast lane with posted speed of 65 is obligated to move right by this law or such a sign.

I would argue that it does apply to them, but Gene, and many others, would probably disagree, perhaps arguing that "70 in a 65" is inherently not "a speed less than the normal speed of traffic", especially if there is just one jerk flashing his lights who is trying to go 90.

Other states and Europe have rules about this that are stated less ambiguously.

Now, if you're talking about someone going 55 in the fast lane of 70 mph posted freeway, I'd agree that both the law and the sign clearly apply.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 05-15-07 at 02:22 PM.