View Single Post
Old 04-11-04, 06:53 AM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MKRG
Do they exist? If so I must have one. I guess I better get a girlfriend for the tandem as well. Sheesh! nothing in life is easy.
See attached photos of my F/G/tandem. It is a 70's era Gitane that has been modified with an extra tube from the top of the front seat post to the rear b/b to correct the rather loose bottom bracket stiffness that was inherent in these frames. I have recently put back on the T.A. Cyclotourist cranks that came with the frame after removing the outer and inner chain wheels. Now it is running a 42 tooth on the rear drive chain wheel and 17/18 tooth cogs on the rear Phil Wood hub. You should think long and hard before you decide to purchase one of these things. They are rather slow to ride as the increased weight limits their climbing ability on hills. They do fly when going down hills though. I think they are best used on flat bike trail environments as the power able to be transmitted by two competent riders is awesome. Everybody has to be in sync to make it really go fast. The handling is also much slower than a single as the increased length is something that affects the turning radius. I don't think that you could safely run a true brakeless Track Tandem on the streets as they are almost impossible to stop without brakes as the weight mass is nearly double what a single bike is. It takes some effort to haul this thing down to a stop. I have Kool Stop pads on the center pull brakes and they just barely work when you try to panic stop. they are fun, but a rather specialized purchase that is only justified if you have too much money burning a hole in your pocket or an unreasonable desire for something truly unique.

Fixedgearhead