Old 05-16-07, 05:09 PM
rickyaustin
I Design Stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is cyclocross right for me? Lemond Poprad perhaps?

Long time lurker — first time poster — sorry for the long post.

*edit* 5/29/07 Surly Cross Check is on its way! woot!!

I have been looking to get back into biking for about a year and have been searching for a bike I feel good enough about to drop $1,000+ on. I have always been on some sort of crappy bike since I was 5. Two summers ago I dropped 35lbs on the crappy MTN bike I had, but it's not really road worthy anymore. I'm entering my last year of college and will be moving to a large city, and I believe it's time to make a good investment on a nice bike.

I should mention that I am 6'5" and right now grudgingly around 300lbs. I want to put a stop to the weight gain and get it way back down to where it is supposed to be.

I will be using the bike for some light gravel trails, many miles on the road for exercise/fun and some light commuting.

I wanted a road bike, but worried about my size and the fact that I cannot take it off-road at all. I considered buying two bikes, but knew there had to be a better solution. I discovered cyclo-cross bikes about a month ago and upon tons of research — it seems like the perfect type of bike for me.

As for the type of cyclo-cross bike — I want disc brakes (just a preference), a bike that will support my weight of course and looks do matter. I can't bring myself to spend $1,000+ on something I think is ugly.

The Lemond Poprad Disc is the bike I think I want.

Concern: Wheels. I've read on here the wheels on the Poprad might not be sufficient for a heavy rider. I guess I don't understand this - what happens? Do you bend the rim? Pop spokes? Catastrophic failure?? What are my options to fix the wheel situation. I imagine I'd need a second set so I can have road and off-road tires... so would it be ok if I bought a stronger set for off-road, and put road tires on the OEM wheels since I assume that road riding has less wheel-stress than off-road?

Went to the local bike store asking about ordering one... plus pedals, saddles, the wheel situation, etc., and all they wanted to do was sell me a Mountain Bike with 29" wheels and convince me to buy slicks to make it road-worthy.

Is a cyclo-cross bike right for me? Would the 29" MTN Bike be better? What other cyclo-cross bike besides the Poprad would you recommend? Will the wheels hold me? I know of the Cannondale Cyclocross Optimo Disc 2 and the other non-disc bikes. The Lemond just feels right.

Last edited by rickyaustin; 05-29-07 at 08:49 PM.