View Single Post
Old 04-13-04, 12:48 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wingnut

I have been trying to keep my HR in the 70-85% Max HR when I ride. I have my HRM set to 127/155. When I ride outside I just can't keep my HR in that range. Over a 1 hr ride I will end up with a average HR of 160-163. When I ride on the trainer I can easily keep it in the range, or really whatever HR I desire.

Question is...am I doing the right things here? Having the HRM has really been interesting for me. Last year I just got on the bike and rode as far and as hard as I could. I lost weight and had fun, just trying to improve things a bit this year.
I use the monitor to ensure that I am riding within my cababilities, as I'm a lazy git and don't push myself unless I have to. Every one is different, and I generally ride at 85% of Max, most of the time, Lower than that and I am slacking. uphill I wil go to to 95% as the norm, and 105% for the final bit. A mate of mine, around the same age, is down at 70% for most of the ride, but can not get over 90% at any time. We are all different, so ride within your comfort level, but push just that little bit more to ensure you get the work out that you want.
Remember aswell that weight loss does not always depend on exercise,Eat a bit better but keep up the Carbo- hydrate level, cut the sugars a bit. Also on the ride, Drink more water, then some more water, and then a lot more water. Finishing the ride thirsty so a couple of beers will go down well does not help.