Thread: bar question
View Single Post
Old 04-13-04, 01:15 PM
s2sxiii
All Things Go

Bikes: 01 bianchi pista, custom. 04 felt f-15, full record.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just can't talk myself into the rivendell style of bar. Just doesn't fit my aesthetic view of my bike. And yes, that contradicts my earlier function over fashion statement.

*warning, possible rant ahead. Any employees of my LBS (not Baer wheels, you guys are awesome) should stop reading now*

So on the advice of streners, i head to up my LBS to see if its a fit issue. And, of course, they don't think so. Its not my fit, its something else they need to sell me. This time it's specialized Bar Phat, little gel pads for under your tape, part of their ridiculous body geometry line. Every time I go in there, its something else they need to sell me. To top it off, they've got jack in stock. 5 locations in Columbus, a huge store, and they've got to offer than the tiny bike shop down the street. When it came time to switch the langster to fixed, they had no cogs in stock. None. They've got 3 sets of handlebars in stock, all of them fancy carbon road drops, no bullhorns or anything else. They can always order it, sure, but then i might as well get it off the internet. But they never fail to try and sell me something else I don't need. While they're spouting off about how great the bar phat is, they're trying to sell me gel padded gloves and some light they had on sale. It's like going to the mall, only with bikes. Some of the mechanics are cool, don't get me wrong, and one or two of them even ride fixed gear. But i just cant take their **** anymore.

I went directly home and tore their lame sticker off my bike, probably voiding my 3 year service warranty, but screw them. I'm taking my bike to baer from now on. I'd rather pay full price (higher than internet prices) for parts just to talk to someone who knows something about my bike and cares enough to talk to me as a person and not just a customer. All of you coming into Columbus for the alleycat, Baer is sponsoring it, and you should check out their shop, and not bikesource, for any and all of your biking needs while in town.