View Single Post
Old 05-18-07, 05:18 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Redhouse, if you hadn't mentioned the new Dr, I was going to suggest finding one!
I've never heard of inactivity as a treatment for Chronic Venous Stasis except for when you have an active cellulitis infection going!

Keep an eye on that bruising though for any sign of breakdown. The tissue with Stasis disease is a bit fragile. Also, really, really, really, really watch the hygiene if you break the skin due to impaired immune response and slow healing from the stasis edema.
Originally Posted by Redhouse
I'm 32 and have had Venous Stasis since I was 26 years old. It started out with a leg ulcer on my left calf that wouldn't heal. I went to the doctor and he sent me to see a Vascular Doctor at the UIC in Chicago. He diagnosed me with Venous Stasis Disease and put me under the knife and did the ballooning surgery, which helped for a short time. Since then I have had two laser surgeries which has helped greatly and prevented any more Ulcers.

I'm healthy otherwise, with nothing else wrong and no family history of heart problems or Cancer or much of anything else, just varicose veins which is where all this started. Like any one else with this problem, I live with the daily swelling and have to wear the compression stocking's. Since I started working out a month ago, my legs have been fine with riding. A few days ago I wiped out and hit my right leg pretty hard, which bruised it. Since then, it's swollen from that and with the normal swelling it's been bad the last few days.

Since I got Venous Stasis, I was always told to stay off my legs and limit the amount of activity I do. In return, the last six years has caused me to gain weight and go from being around 245 to just over 300. Now I have a new Doctor that believes in exercise by swiming and biking. With Venous Stasis, you can't run or jog you need lower impact to prevent more blood pooling in the legs. So, now I'm researching better ways to work out with out hurting myself. I'm down 17 pounds since I started by riding, weight lifting and eating right.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant