View Single Post
Old 05-18-07, 06:06 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Realistically, they should probably start to call them commuting bikes. There are far more bicycle commuters than tourers, though the ideal bike is virtually identical. Market them with racks, fenders and panniers. But only sell them as basic bikes. Let people buy the racks, fenders and panniers as they choose. The marketing taglines should read something like, "this is the replacement for your car" or something similar. I'm sure the touring market would be OK with this new naming convention and marketing angle, probably even welcome it if it would result in more "commuting" bikes in the shop.

The commuting bike is similar to the touring bike. Nothing fancy, but purposeful. Able to take everyday use and abuse. Last forever.

One thing I'm surprised about is why every shop doesn't carry at least one Surly Cross Check or LHT. They are available from QBP (parts catalog every shop orders from), so everyshop could carry one. It's a solid bike and one that would suit many a would be commuter. Put fenders, rack and panniers on it and see if anyone bites. Come on, those bikes rock. I went into a shop the other day that specializes in steel road and city bikes. I asked them why they don't carry at least one Surly Cross Check. They said they are too heavy. Come on, these guys also had the Jamis Satellite and Aurora in there. The bikes are virtually the same weight. But Surlys are obviously more desirable.

Whatever. Maybe the only Surly owners are the ones on this forum. Maybe I have it all wrong.