Old 05-20-07, 03:40 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Kind of hard to diagnose in print -have you reinflated to see what happens? May be a jj flat. (jerk joke - friend deflates your tire for laughs).
I know it's hard to diagnose in print. It's hard to diagnose in vivo, too! But yes, I did try to inflate the tube, as I mentioned in the first post, I inflated it some more (it wasn't completely empty when I took the tire off the rim) and put it under water hunting for bubbles, which I found none. Then I inflated it further - but don't dare to, too much, without a tire around it, for obvious reasons - put it back into water and looked for bubbles. Then I groped this tube in various places. Grope, grope, but no bubbles.

Jerk joke: I thought about this, being the mean Scot that I am (not really, but I do have scottish genes in me), I thought about "the damn kids" when I saw the tire having no holes. However, the problem with this theory is that the front tire was in a place rather difficult to access, while the rear tire was much more exposed, and yet, not deflated at all. If I was to do a JJ on someone's bike, I'd go for the low-hanging fruit. That the vent cap was in place, is perhaps another indication that it wasn't a JJ. Again, as I said, the front wheel was in a hard-to-access place, and just unscrewint the cap would represent some difficulty - not to mention, this is Finland, and people are generally really nice. Furthermore, the bike was in the building's storage room, so only my neighbors had access to it, and there are no "damn kids" in this building, just elderly people, and a few couples with babies. Neither of whom would have the physique, dexterity and motivation to do this. Expecially not the motivation.