Old 05-20-07, 07:38 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Our 21 year old daughter is currently out there somewhere on her Yamaha R-6, learning how to ride the thing. I tremble with fear every time she takes it out onto the road. I never had a fair chance to discuss the purchase of said bike with our daughter, since she and the wife kept the purchase a secret until the last minute, fearing I might dis-approve (they were right, I do). I feel that I've been cheated out of the opportunity to have offered my version of common sense prior to the purchase, but that's all water under the bridge now.
I'm really sorry to hear of your family's loss. I have been an avid motorcyclist for over 30 yrs. and have made more than a few cross country trips with my bikes. I currently ride a Ducati 998 and Triumph Sprint RS. When you say that your daughter is "out there somewhere on her Yamaha R-6 learning how to ride the thing", are you saying she's teaching herself? I do hope she has taken an MSF course. I used to teach them and they are incredibly valuable. My son (age 24 and a Service Mgr for a local Yamaha/Suzuki dealer) also rides an R6. He's an incredible rider who spent years on a dirtbike and now has his road racing license. But, I made him take the course because street riding has so many more variables. If she hasn't taken the course make her take it. Other than that, make sure she has all the equipment and always wears it. I sure hope for the best.

Last edited by bruce19; 05-21-07 at 06:42 AM.