Old 05-23-07, 03:27 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacomee has good advice. If you trust your shop and they are into touring, buy from them. Having said that...

I have a Thorn and love it but it might not be the most economical for you due to shipping and the cost of parts for building. But if they have some Nomad frames left and if they are on sale, that would be a good way to go. My only regret is not getting the Rohloff hub. The more I have checked into them the more I am impressed. Stronger wheel, no derailleurs and bombproof. But....you will hear the arguement that when they go, you are stuck, but I have never heard that happening.

Anyway, you need to define your touring and narrow the field. Another thing to consider is if you are tall, go for a bike w/ a long headtube and steerer tube. A lot of bikes, like the 520, don't have that which requires a stem w/ a steeper angle. I also recommend 26" wheels due to availability and stronger wheels. The more things you decide on, the narrower the field gets and the easier your decision is.

I have to say I am impressed w/ Cannondale's touring line up. Roholoff, Brooks etc... That's great. To have one of the world's largest bike manufacturers devote that many bikes to touring, really says something.