Thread: Cholestrol Meds
View Single Post
Old 05-24-07, 05:10 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I initially tried Provochol. I had severe abdominal cramping and stopped taking it after about 3 weeks. Under a different physician, I tried Lipitor and used it successfully for 8 years. When I became serious about cycling I noticed that my leg muscles were not building up anywhere near expectations, that is, improvment in leg strength was minimal, (but I did not have leg cramps).
So about four months ago I changed to Zetia. The cycling season has only begun and this year leg strength is improving substantially, and still no cramps. The improvement is noticable, even to my road riding partner. But Zetia causes dizziness. I dismissed this at first, but after two major falls in the last five weeks, one on the road and one on the MTB trail, I'm asking myself if the Zetia is a factor in slowing down my reaction time or if I'm just riding faster and need to watch my control.
As for cramping, I hydrate liberally before all MTB rides or and road, mup ride over 10 miles and I can not recall ever having a problem.
For me the cholesterol meds are a must. I've cut my Cholesterol level from over 300 to under 150 and triglycerides (sp) are finally under control, thank mostly to cycling.