View Single Post
Old 05-24-07, 07:45 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
You can sign up online but you should be ready as soon as the entries open. But here's the thing...the race is mediocre at best, the town is a dump, the flat bike course is boring...and last year it was freakin' cold. I've never met anyone who did the race that came away saying it was great. Why not sign up for 2008 Coeur d' Alene (I know I mispelled it)?
Well, I understand what you are saying, but keep in mind where I am coming from. I still consider myself a new triathlete, and won't finish an International distance until this fall, and a Half IM next spring. If I'm being truly honest, I'm not looking to compete in the toughest IM out there, I just want to finish one. I'm originally from Alabama, and can stop there for a break with some family and then drive to the event. No plane needed - road trip with the wife and kids - (Grew up vacationing on those beaches) I know what PC is like, but I'm in this thing for the race. Other than the potential for some cool weather, is the event run well? Does it have the same IM atmosphere I see in the other IM venues? (watched most on OLN) I hope to do more than one of these in life, so I'm seeing this as my introduction to Ironman. A flat "boring" course doesn't sound that bad to me, since where I'm coming from right now, there is nothing boring about the concept of biking 112 miles, no matter what the terrain. But seriously, other than not being the ultimate Ironman for a competitor, what do you folks think of it for someone like me? Someone who has never really been an athlete, and is just in this right now to see if I can really do it?