View Single Post
Old 05-25-07, 07:52 PM
jfw0001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal selection

I picked up my new bike (Surly Cross Check) this week and after a couple of rides have found that my pedals are inadequate.

I have been exploring my options, but thought I would ask what others are using. Are you using clipless, toe clips, platform or some other type pedals? Specifically, what brands and models are you using?

I brought some cheap Bontrager pedals with toe clips at the local bike shop, but I have not installed them and may return them. I think that I may want to go with a large platform pedal because I have wide feet. I may supplement these with a Power Grip pedal strap. Is anyone using this configuration? If so, what is the name of the pedal you are using?

I don't think I am ready for a clipless pedal. I am not going to be winning any races and like to have some flexibility as far as the footwear I choose. Is there a hybrid with a wide enough platform that would work if I was wearing a flip flop? Basically, I am looking for something that would work for a 20 to 30 mile ride, but is still versatile enough for when I want to run down the street to the store.

Any advice that can offer with this selection would be appreciated. Thanks.