kandnhome
Unemplawyer

Bikes: 2006 21" Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
They're ok as long as you realize that Thudbusters are a comfort item not a performance item, and that you realize that the true function of a full suspension bike is not simply to cushion the ride. It is not a cheap way to get an FS bike, however it will take the edge of of some jolts which is all it was ever meant to do.

It's not a panacea it's a band aid.

While agree with your paragraph, I must take issue with your tagline. While BugsInMyTeeth may have implied he hoped it could be a panacea (i.e. a solution to the lack of rear suspension on a hardtail), I think your comparison to a band aid is lacking in accuracy. A band aid is a temporary dressing for a generally minor problem (and used idiomatically to declaim the sufficiency of such a dressing). However the ThudBuster at issue is neither. There is no fault with hardtails -- they are bikes perfectly adapted within their own scope of riding to the very same trails others ride with AM/FR/DH rigs. Like BClpam noted, the trail is the same, just the riding is different.

The thudbuster was designed to do as you point out in your paragraph above -- it takes the edge off some of the rougher bits of riding a HT. It was not designed to fix a weakness of the HT design and make it more like a FS. To many, the responsiveness of the back end while descending, or flowing rocky/rooty sections, is anything but a weakness -- it's feedback and control, not bumps and bangs.

That'd be like saying a padded seat in a formula 1 car is a bandaid in the problem of comfort. There is no comfort problem: it's supposed to be that way.

I only write to keep you on point, as you so faithfully do for others. And while it may be a minor point, we can all improve if others catch us where cannot catch ourselves. Let the minuteness of the point be itself a compliment to how thoroughly you have developed your ability to catch yourself before committing thought to digital medium.

Oh, and it seems that Ambien CR not only doesn't put me to sleep, it wakes up some weird vocab part of my brain.