catfish
have bike will tour

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520, Trek 2120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MichaelW:
to make sure we are talking about the same bike the 520 IS a dedicated touring bike built by Trek for for loaded touring.

I met Many tourists on the road riding the bike as it comes from the factory. Myself I wanted a better choice for climbing mouintian passes.

The bike comes with a shimano 105 T for a frount derailer, and Shimano Deore LX rear derailer. My '99 moudle came with a 8 speed cassette rather then the 9 speed. The LX hub accepted both a 8 and 9 speed so there was no problem there. the stock crank set was a shimano 105 with 52 42 and 30 tooth rings. It came with Shimano dura ace bar end shifters. the frount is friction and the rear is indexed and friction. The Rims are Bontrager fairlane 36 spoke but i opted to build a bontrager clyde for the rear (probley over kill) it came with continental top tour tires but i see they have switched to some other tire for this years issue.

The changes were no problem at all the 9 speed XT 11-34 cassette sliped right on, the crank set i changed to a Shimano Deore XT with 44,32,22 toth rings this set up sliped right on. The derailors and shifters work like a hot knife going through butter.

I do know that the Bruce Gordon rig is a very nice ride, but after 10,000 loaded touring miles on my 520 i have no reason to get a new bike right now. Ive had real good luck out on the road and have met many others touring on 520's That have had good luck also. I see people touring on every kind of bike from road bikes touring bikes mtn bikes

Hope I answered you question
catfish

Last edited by catfish; 02-03-02 at 10:42 PM.