View Single Post
Old 05-27-07, 05:36 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Older Linears made in Iowa

I've got two long wheelbase Linears and have two friends with both the short wheelbase and long wheelbase models. All of them were built in Iowa before 2003. The older one CA 1993) were made by Kann Body Shop and has a Kann label on the headtube and my other one (July 1997) was made by a different owner but still in Iowa. The dual 20 inch wheel model is reputed to be unstable compared to the other two. Yes they do squeek a bit if the quick release on the folding parts are not tight. Some people even had them heliarc welded to stop that. I've got over 5,000 miles on my newer Linear and that's not bad for a bike that cost me $500 third hand in 2000. It is way better than the horrible BikeE AT I started out on in 1999. I bought the second one for parts in case I needed something expensive like the underseat steering parts. Both bikes are still in one piece and usable. My two friends dearly like theirs and ride them often. They are an easy bike to learn to ride compared to some recumbents. There were so many of them made that you can often get them at a really good price compared to the much heavier entry-level recumbents on the market. I consider mine much better than entry level. BTW, if you have the USS handlebars, make sure the steering is tight or the bike will seem to have a mind of its own.