group105
Master of the Obvious

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Oh man, I have been where you are. Do you have aluminum cranks? You get so frustrated that you start to question if you are pulling in the right direction.

Just remember that when the wrench is in the vertical upright, you pull toward the rear of the bike to remove the pedal whether it is the right or left pedal.

OK, that said, if you have a REALLY stuck pedal, the best thing to do is to remove the crank arm from the bike and put it in a vice. Use a torch to heat up the end of the crank by the pedal. Pull or push on the wrench like an SOB. If you are lucky, you will get it to budge. Repeat the process until she is loose enough to get the pedal off.

This technique works pretty well most of the time. The deal is that you want to heat up the crank arm and start wrenching before the pedal pin heats up and expands. In other words, you want to get the diameter of the crank arm hole to expand while the pedal pin is still cool and small.

This is you best shot IMO.

Good luck. I've been there. Tough gig to be sure.
Thanks I will give it a shot...

I have 105 cranks. I was kind of practicing just trying to see if I can do it by myself (looking at getting some LOOK pedals) without taking it to the LBS. Do you think the PW 3 and 4 give you more leverage?