View Single Post
Old 05-28-07, 05:01 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have thought a Downtube mini, a Brompton, or its cheap clone the Merc would be more practical and robust. I think all of these are lighter too. The Brompton and the Merc are very capable, practical cycles which I have ridden extensively, and I believe the DT mini is as well. I own a Merc and have done more than 1500 miles on it with very little trouble. That riding means the equivalent of burning over half a million calories and is enough to be sure that my weight is twenty pounds less than it would have been if I hadn't done it. If you are out of shape, you are doing the right thing.

I haven't ridden a Downtube mini, but it is well recommended in threads on here. If you are in the states the DT wiill be cheap and easy to get. I'm not sure how small it folds. In my view any practical properly engineered transprt for an adult is goung to weigh a least 25 pounds. Less than that and I doubt it would be made of proper engineering materials. Stuff that is built like a folding child buggy will likely become a sickening disappointment. I well remember my dad buying a bike with plastic wheels when he retired. On the face of it, the belt drive and the folding ability seemed great ideas. In practice, the thing was a pathetic waste of money.

Last edited by EvilV; 05-28-07 at 05:13 AM.