Thread: Racing Classes?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-07, 11:02 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX
Can anyone who is active in the race scene explain the standard classifications for downhill racing? I will be getting a Giant STP 2 fairly soon and I'd like to know which class(es) I could be competitive in a year or two down the road. I love downhill, but I won't be getting an FS bike for it. If there's no way I could be competitive in downhill on a hardtail, can someone recommend a racing type for me?

Thanks and sorry about the beginner questions.

Ethan
To paraphrase: There's no such thing as a beginner question; only amateurish answers."

Ethan, with any luck you will be racing where there is a hardtail class (we have them at our DH races here). The drawback to the HT class, though, is that it is usually not age-/experience-specific; in other words, you may be up against Expert racers who chose to run the HT class.

For Beginner through Sport DH racing your STP will do you fine - -especially if the courses have good flow and/or are particularly jump-infested.

As far as being race-ready, I'd recommend some 2.5 tires. They won't roll quite as fast as 2.35s but they'll give your hardtail just a little more 'suspension' to take some of the edge off the harshness and be a little more forgiving.

Have fun and lets know how it goes.