View Single Post
Old 05-31-07, 09:53 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fransb
I don't think I would ride a bike at all at subzero temperatures. Staying upright on a surface of snow and ice would be the main problem, not efficiency problems of the transmission. But of course it would be nice to know something about the performance in winterly conditions.
I ride all winter without problems. Temps are around 10*F (-12*C) typically in the morning, but down to -25*F (-32*C) for about a week last winter. Studded tires solve the staying upright problem; I ride on ice for months at a time and have only fallen once, in my driveway.

I am comfortable riding my bike in conditions that I would NOT be comfortable driving a car in.

If this doesn't work well in temperatures WELL below freezing it's going to not do too well for many commuters that hang out around here.

Originally Posted by fransb
The NuVinci is not an automatic transmission. You do the shifting by hand. Very smooth without any stress to legs and knees at all. A conventional hub gives more stress...
The reference to automatic transmissions was about a side conversation, not directly about this particular transmission.