Old 05-31-07, 05:02 PM
SaddleUp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Nigeyy,

I'm originally from New York State and have driven along the New York State Thruway, which goes along the Erie Canal, many times. I'm sorry to say that I can't really think of a place I would hate to tour more than that.

The terrain is flat and boring. It would be blazing hot in the summer. I can't recall anything at all of interest. It just goes on and on in a straight line forever.

If you really want to tour New York State, you might look at Lewis County. This is an area of beautiful farms in the Black River valley---see for example New Bremen. There are a couple of beautiful rivers---see the Independence River around Greig and the Black River in Beaver Falls. There's an interesting campground at Whetstone Gulf. The central hub of this area would be Lowville.

If transportation to your starting place is an issue, how about taking the train to Portsmouth, NH and riding up the coast into Maine? Or the bus to NH to tour the lakes region of New Hampshire. The latter would only cost you about $35. Boston to Portland, ME, is also $35. I think Maine and NH would be much better distinations than the Eerie canal. Matter of fact you can go to lots of fun places with the Concord Trailways bus. http://www.concordtrailways.com/conc...ares.htm#Maine