Old 06-01-07, 09:33 AM
sherpaPeak
rider of the east

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scrublover
That's a pretty short clamp/stack (whatever you want to call it ) height...

Some of the older Salsa steel stems *might* be short enough. There is also an older Avid stem, the SAAGO that was designed partially with short steer tubes in mind. If you can find on, it may work.

Otherwise, you're likely going to need a longer steerer tube, or a shorter stack headset to free up more tube length for the stem to grab... or possibly even have some off the top of the headtube faced off; though that won't likely safely gain you enough to do much good.

Go here. They have a large selection, and they list many of the clamp heights.
thanks for your help.

I actually stole the term "stack height" from pricepoint.com....they list the stack height for most of their stem.

Gastro gussed it right. I have a steer tube that probably 5 to 6 mm too short. the stem I am using currently is a two bolt design with 45mm stack height. and the steer tube ends just were the top bolt (stem) is located. I have not felt any problem with this set up on the road. But, I am not sure how safe it is on the trail. So. I figured If I could get a stem with smaller stack height, I could gain probably a good 10mm and that would solve the entire problem.

Also, the bike has a fairly new headset, but the stem is pretty old and I am itching to buy a new one.