Old 04-25-04, 01:01 AM
everyman46

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I wanted to because I was thinking about getting a Landrider and when I went to the web to try to get some info on them I found this thread on a Yahoo search. I just wanted to post here incase anyone else like me finds this thread. I am in what an earlier post described as "the Landrider target market"..over 50, just want to get a little fun and expand my exercise program and was intimidated by the whole shift thing. I remember ten and fifteen speeds as being way too complicated. Turns out bikes have changed. I ended up getting a Raleigh with 21 speeds. It turns out that more speeds are less complicated, not more, because having a rear hub with more cogs gives more options when the chain is on each front cog. As it was pointed out to me, "you're going to have the chain on the middle front cog most of the time. You put it in the little cog if you're going uphill and the big cog if you're going downhill or trying to catch somebody". That sort of demistified it for me. Also, forget those little levers that you had to reach down and try to figure out. Everything is thumb toggle or grip shift now. Of course, you still have to know when to shift and how, but it's a lot easier than it used to be. And you are in control of the shifting. I think that's a plus. I've got a grip shift that even has a little window to tell me what gear I'm in, front hub on the left, rear cog on the right. No more guessing. Now to the bottom line. For about the same price I would have paid for the landrider plus shipping, I got what I think is a better bike, plus a helmet, plus a bike rack and saddle bags, (I ride to work about 4 miles when it's nice) plus a bike lock and a nifty little folding bike tool kit, plus a pump, a headlamp, and water bottle and holder. I mean..I got all set up. Landrider, who needs it?

Last edited by everyman46; 04-25-04 at 04:47 PM.