Old 06-03-07, 09:16 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nika Aldrich
what is the benefit of the Speedster over the Torpedo 700? I'm assuming the Torpedo is lighter, no? So then what is the benefit of the heavier bike that makes up for that? I'm looking at the torpedo for my child and me. Is there a benefit to the more expensive speedster I should be looking at?
The Torpedo (MSRP of $3,395 as of 1 Mar & 37.5lbs) is 2lbs heavier than the Speedster and, as you have probably discovered, comes from Co-Motion's Periscope line of "family" tandems with adjustable, telescoping seat tubes and an open frame design that allows for the wide-range of fitment for riders of all sizes while also reducing the fabrication cost, which translates into a more affordable tandem.

The Speedster (MSRP of $4,195 as of 1 Mar) uses Co-Motion's performance tandem frame design with the more conventional internal (or laterial tube, if you prefer) running from the head tube to the rear bottom bracket. The Speedster (Mocha & Supremo) uses a much stiffer frame compared to the Periscope Scout & Torpedo frames and is intended to support all types of adult riding, including loaded touring and racing. Fabricating the more complex frame with it's additional welds and added material for the internal tube is what I would presume drives the majority of the cost difference vs. the two steel Periscope models.

If you wanted to combine the best of both worlds -- Periscope design, but the stiffness and a much lighter frame than even the Speedster -- you could opt for the Periscope Hammerhead (MSRP of $4,995 as of 1 Mar & 32.4lbs) which uses an aluminum tubeset that Co-Motion calls ACM Ultra 7. The higher cost of the material and fabrication process associated with aluminum is what drives the majority of cost of the Hammerhead vs. the Torpedo plus what I'd guess is about $400 for the standard carbon fork vs. the steel forks that come standard on the Torpedo & Speedster.

All three of these tandems -- the Periscope Torpedo, the Periscope Hammerhead, and the Speedster -- are spec'd with essentially the same components with the exception of the Hammerhead's carbon fork.