Old 04-27-04, 05:07 AM
izgod

Bikes: BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from Wilmington, Delaware

Yesterday, I was assaulted at 8AM as I rode my bike home from work. Two young teenage boys jumped me from behind, hit me in back of the head , then shoved me off the bike. . Amazingly, a police car was following and saw the whole thing. The hoodlums were arrested immediately, and I was taken to hospital to be checked out. The bike was undamaged. I don’t know what their intention was, perhaps to steal the bike, but this would have been stupid, since I am well known to all the cops in town, who see me riding about. I’m out everyday, in all weather, and even automobile and school bus drivers know “the crazy old man on the weird bike.” I’m so conspicuous, that I once let a friend at work take my bike for a ride, and he was stopped by a cop who asked him how he got the bike.

I have a bump on my head, a bruised tailbone, and some road rash. Otherwise I’m fine.

I’m a little worried about the implications of the case. The boys will be found guilty because not only the police saw it, but about 5 witnesses also saw it. Other drivers,
pedestrians, shop keepers. I worry that the boys’ “Hommies” will seek revenge on me, since I’m so conspicuous on that bike. I worry that the next assault will involve me getting shot, or run down by a car. Ironically, I never saw a thing, and still don’t know “what hit me.” I certainly could not identify the culprits.

I’ve been riding this route for over a year, and I’ve never gotten anything but friendly waves from folks, or folks just wanting to know more about my recumbent bike. I don’t really want to change my route, as this is the shortest route home, and it takes me through the beautiful Brandywine Park. At night, on my way to work, I do take a longer way, because Market St around midnight is crawling with crackheads and other evil doers.

Welcome to life in the 21st Century.

Oh well, thanks for listening.