View Single Post
Old 06-05-07, 05:11 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeToWork
... a relatively new wheel that pops a couple of spokes, that would not mean that the remaining spokes are bad but rather that there is unequal spoke tension causing the spokes to break in the first place. This could also be caused by a damaged rim. ....I don't recommend building a new wheel with used spokes since they are stretched.
Yes the spokes could indeed be bad (not everyone rides a bike shop quality bike) and uneven spoke tension is not possible on a true wheel unless the rim is damaged. On a new wheel spoke breakage under normal use means bad spokes or bad hub design, with low spoke tension a distant third.

As for rebuilding with "stretched" spokes, it depends on the circumstances. Admittedly there are not a lot of times I would recommend it but if the relace is due to a rim defect or non-impact damage, so that the spokes have not been unduly stressed, there is no problem with reusing the spokes by just transferring to the same model rim or one that takes the same spoke length.

If someone can show me otherwise I would be glad to listen.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-05-07 at 05:16 PM.