View Single Post
Old 06-06-07, 07:45 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
There were several skilled mechanics in my family, chief among them my father. Dad tried to discourage me from things mechanical on the theory you can earn more $$ with your head than your hands. I have the degrees and lifestyle to demonstrate he was correct but growing up in Nebraska, there were enough friends & cousins fiddling with tractors, old trucks & cars for me to gain some knowledge. My inherent cheapness & curiosity cause me to always try to fix things myself & bikes aren't that complicated.

My oldest son is an extremely analytical type with degrees in Mathematics & Chemistry. Growing up, his best friend (now an auto mechanic) was one of those take it apart & see how it works types. These two cleaned/lubed & maintained their own bikes and once disassembled & successfully reassembled a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub when they were twelve. They used rags to catch parts, my son Jeremy sketched things as they worked & Charlie did most of the work. They were quite a pair and today both can repair just about anything. The best approach is tempering the "take it apart" impulse with some thought & analysis. Don