View Single Post
Old 06-08-07, 06:13 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
I am building up a Raleigh twenty as a fixed gear commuting bike for winter. As it is going to be for winter I am putting a hub dynamo on the front. The dynamo will either be a S-A Dynohub or a Shimano DH3N20 dynamo hub. I want to run a basic computer so that I can accurately log my distance and speed. Will the magnets in the hubs interfere with the computer sensor?
No, there should be no problem with that. If you're worried, put the computer sensor as far from the hub as possible. If you don't already have the computer, you might consider one that puts the sensor on the rear wheel. I have one with two sensors, for example, one for speed and one for cadence; and to combine the wires as much as possible, they put the wheel sensor on the rear wheel.

Changing the subject slightly.... I built up a Raleigh Twenty using the new Sturmey Archer dynamo hub / drum brake combination, which is nice because it's hard to put decent caliper brakes on the R20's fork. If you don't already have the hub you're going to use, check it out:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=HU2200