Old 06-08-07, 05:51 PM
merlinman
seattle based cyclist

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Gios Steel, Schwinn Voyageur fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is so much written about saddles I hate to even opine - but here goes anyway. Make sure you ride the saddle for the distances important to you - a saddle good for one hour may not be to your liking after 3. And it may not last as long as you think - it gets too soft too fast and ends up putting too much pressure where you don't want it. I just got rid of a Fizik Arione - made me numb. Switched to a Specialized Alias - numbness gone - but pretty hard on the sit bones after 3 hours (6 was killer) and it "pinches". Switched to a Terry Fly - no numbness or pinching and comfortable for longer distances. But apparently it breaks down reasonably quickly and needs to be replaced after year or so. Have ordered a Selle An-atomica on recommendation of many in Long Distance forum - anxious to test it out. Sent in a Brooks saddle I had for same company to anatomically cut it out. Fortunately I have a number of bikes so I can optimize the saddles to meet the need - the Terry Fly is on my fast bike, the Brooks/Selle is going on my rando bike, and I'll put the Specialized on my single speed - although if it keeps pinching out it goes!