George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
BSLeVan's story is GREAT! Very cool.

I was a reasonably successful amateur motorcycle road racer in the '70's. Raced at, and sometimes won races at the old Ontario Motor Speedway in So. California at least twice a month. I was especially fast around the "horseshoe" in the infield and always made large gains against the competition. . . . The AMA pros came to our "6-hours of Ontario" endurance race one year as a tune-up for their racing. Looking over my shoulder and seeing the pros on their 1000's catching me on my quick little Yamaha RD-350 before the horsehoe, I smiled knowing they wouldn't catch me there!

HA! As I was dragging pegs and hooking it for all I worth about 12 inches from the inside of the corner, here goes Art Bauman on a fat cow of a KZ-1000 around me on the outside like I was parked and then zoom, Reg Pridmore on a wobbling BMW R-90-S appears out of nowhere to take up the 12 inches between me and the curbing! He wobbles away from me like a jet never backing off the throttle on a bike that was trying to spit him off.

I figured out right there that there are boys and there are men. I was a boy and the gulf was insurmountable.

Tyson

I used to follow the circuit around in the 70s and I bet you remember Kenny Roberts. I think he was the best rider I've ever seen.