View Single Post
Old 06-08-07, 10:11 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom - Yes, it's the length of the tube that's the issue, not the height of the bike. I have become accustomed to the height and no longer feel like I'm sitting too high. My legs easily clear the tube. Though you and I are about the same height overall, our legs and/or arms may be different lengths which factors into the reach to the pedals and bars.

Hubby just reminded me of an important fact: When we bought the bike, they adjusted the seat and stem to accommodate my wrist. I did sit on a shorter bike but we couldn't raise the seat any higher for my legs. There were other details that I can't remember now, but what I do remember for a fact is that we chose this size over the 19" because I would have more room to make adjustments to help my wrist. I cannot rest a lot of weight on my wrist because it has a prosthesis, and therefore I need to sit more upright with the stem raised toward me. On the shorter bike we could not raise the seat any higher and I didn't want to sit lower than the bars. So........ the shop did not push the bike on me, I chose it because the size was "the lesser of the two evils" (so to speak) because of greater concerns about my wrist and more flexibility to make adjustments with this size. I'm sorry I didn't remember this important point before. It's possible that a completely different bike would have been better for me, I'll never know. What I do know is that I have this bike now and I'm going to continue enjoying it. I have a blast when I ride it (in spite of constantly having to "scoot" back on the previous satin-pillow seat), so I will not allow myself to get upset anymore over this. I'll try the new saddle this weekend and if it doesn't work, we'll look for a different solution.

Yen