Old 05-01-04, 10:56 AM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the 1200C is like the 1000, and won't allow you to use large diameter tires, which is probably what you want in the snow. I think all of the studded tires (for riding on ice) available are like 700x30 or larger.

The amount of snow you can ride in probably depends on the width of the tire, the underlying condition of the road (icy, muddy, or dry), and your skill level. I've ridden on maybe 4-6" of dry snow with 26x2.0" tires. After awhile it gets tough to plow through that much. I chicken out and ride the bus when it's icy.

I'd still suggest looking at one of the touring/sport touring bikes. I think something like the Bianchi Volpe or Novarra RAndonee can be purchased for the same price ( or a little less) than the 1200C and be much more flexible for commuting in varied conditions. You can have skinny tires for the summer, and big-honking studded tires in the winter, with better braking and hauling capacity.

Think about adding fenders and lights to your bicycle. And maybe a rear rack if you are going to haul things.

Tube: that could be the inner-tube of a bicycle tire, or it could be one of the parts of a bike frame. A steel bike frame is made of steel tubes (looks like pipes).