View Single Post
Old 05-01-04, 11:46 AM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big H
Chuckfox, I also experience the howl you describe with my LX brakes. It has a plus side though. It acts as a "hooter"!!!! If you race and you are in a bunch a slight touch of the brakes will make sure the nervous guy in front of you hears you and he norally then quickly starts shaping up.!!!!!!!

The howl goes away if you keep your braking surfaces clean and ensure that your brakepads does not glaze up. Break the galze every now and then with sanding paper.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!!

Big H
I did benefit from it a few times, but it got really old. I tried different kinds of pads, ect., but the squealing always came back within a week or two of riding. Must be the glazing you mentioned. I just got tired of fussing with it and spent $40 to solve it once and for all. Interestingly, I left the XT brake on the rear. It has never made a bit of noice. Probably due to the fact that the seat stays are much flexier than the suspension fork. Thanks!!