View Single Post
Old 06-10-07, 08:42 PM
mtnbk3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The sport glasses have more function that you might think. First, the nose pieces allow you to adjust the glasses away from your face so that they don't fog as badly as a closer fitting set of glasses will. They also shield around your eyes quite well to keep the wind out of them. The nose pads and the ear pieces are made of a grippier rubber so that you aren't constantly having to push the glasses up as you sweat under them and you don't have two layers of ear pieces competing for space.

Finally there is the lens interchangeability. I can get outer lenses that are polarized (basic glasses), yellow high contrast glasses that really help with off-road riding when it's overcast, very dark sunglasses for shadeless rides (we have lots of those here) and, most importantly, clear lenses for night time riding. I've tried the yellow lenses for night time and they just make black areas blacker...not a good thing.

I've tried all kinds of glasses. I've ridden with croakies for years (I hate 'em ) I've ridden with photograys (the glass version of Transitions) and I wouldn't suggest them for cold weather since they darken significantly in the cold...even at night! I've worn regular glasses with all kinds of nose pieces. None of them perform as well as the Kerosenes I use now. Sure, $120 is expensive but so are my regular glasses (my frames tend to be in the $100 range and lenses about double that). As someone else has said, why risk your regular glasses? If I break my Rudy's, I can still use my regular glasses. If I break my regular glasses, I'm blind.

And, the set of Rudy's that I have now are going on 5 years old...that's only $20 per year. Not that expensive.
thats why i don't ride with my glasses, they cost twice what yours cost
but i hated everything else they all looked like crap on me, but i wear them its better to wear exspensive glasses than not wear them at all. kinda off topic but i think that paying 120 is better than breaking my regular glasses.