View Single Post
Old 06-11-07, 04:14 AM
in-transit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did settle on a Bike Friday, picking it up from the factory in Eugene, Or. and doing a 2 month camping tour in Utah/Colorado (heavily laden with winter gear - panniers & suitcase/trailer). This wasn't the type of trip I primarily bought the bike for, but I've been wanting to return to that part of the world since my first visit. It handled the considerable weight with no problems and seems mechanically sound. I was glad to have the 27 speed range and was pleased I didn't go for the dual-drive hub.

I have every confidence in taking it with me for the travelling I intend doing in SE Asia & Nepal next near, using the suitcase/trailer system on occasions, sometimes storing it temporarily for a shorter side-trip. Packing the bike in the case takes some time, but the quick fold for a bus/train journey takes only seconds.

I flew from Denver to London 2 weeks ago & was concerned about possible damage to the bike during the security check - with good reason. Though it went through with no extra charges (Lufthansa) it was suggested by a TSA supervisor that I get it x-rayed & inspected at the 'oversize' section so that I could watch the inspection. Even though I had put photos on the inside of the case with instructions stressing the importance of replacing parts in their correct location, the inspector tried to force the case closed with parts of the bike sticking out. I yelled out somewhat aggressively & was told by his supervisor to come & sort it out myself (even though the signs indicated that members of the public were not allowed in the inspection area). The bike was packed properly and apologies made by all concerned. Had I not been there the bike would almost certainly have been damaged.

A full trip report should appear in another more appropriate section of this forum when I have the time.