Old 06-11-07, 06:07 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Niles H.snip
The individual cyclist (as audience or reader) may have no good reason whatsoever to regard himself or herself as the driver of a vehicle, and the sentence makes very little sense to many people in this context.

Originally Posted by John Forester
Then he has to go along as a road sneak, unhappy, fearful, and in the danger caused by his phobia. That's what's wrong with American bicycling policy, and what vehicular cyclists are trying to change.
A road sneak, cringing in the gutter.

Rat-like. Abject. Pathetic.

In danger. Psychologically, spiritually, physically, and probably in other ways.

A cockroach among cockroaches.

Worse: a tumour-cockroach-rodent-hybrid -- greasy, poor, limping along in the soot, reviled by Lexuses, traveling nuns, taxicabs, and retired Presidents.

I'm sorry, I got a little off track.

You were saying....

And I was about to say this:

That is not the only option.

I (for example) (and it is just one example, I want to stress that) may regard myself as a pilot -- for this, to me, means something much higher and more responsible than "a driver." The word pilot, to me, more specifically suggests certain extremely responsible (far more than "drivers"), highly skilled, safe, well trained major airline pilots I have known.

Or I may regard myself as a cyclonaut.... (and this may have relevant meanings to me that make me fare better)

Or various other things that are far more meaningful and valuable to me as an individual cyclist....

Last edited by Niles H.; 06-11-07 at 06:28 PM.