Old 06-12-07, 03:42 AM
Doug5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brasballs
can you do a century on the fusion?
There are people on the crankforward forum who do ride long distances on these bikes, and I would bet it would be considerably more comfortable than a regular upright bike would. I only have the OEM mid-riser bars and I'd want some bar ends on there or some way of providing different hand positions; after a couple hours nonstop my arms/hands to tend to ache a bit, just from the lack of motion.

A century non-stop would be tough, one's rear would be aching pretty good for the last 20 miles or so. It's not really practical to stand on the pedals at all, you can lift up for short-moments to get over big bumps easily but you're basically sitting on the seat the whole time you're on the bike. (-when I say "non-stop", I mean that literally--get on the bike at the start, and do not get off the bike at all until the finish line. No rest stops, no bathroom breaks. To an extent this sort of use depends on the climate, how much water/food packed along and how long the rider can go without bathroom breaks...)

I use a LWB recumbent for long-distance riding however; the Fusion seat is nice, but it's not as nice as a recumbent seat is. On the recumbent I generally stop every ~40 miles to stand for a bit, but 100 miles non-stop is not a big deal because one can shift around in the seat while riding to greatly alleviate pain from pressure points.
~