Thread: More power!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-07, 12:24 AM
Velodiva

Bikes: Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More power!

While some couples cite the ability to chat while cycling as one of the many pluses of tandeming, Captain Hermes and I exchange very few words while riding. Often due to the wind noise as well as our focus. And, OK, one advantage of being a stoker is being able to safely listen to my power song playlist on my Ipod shuffle, with the volume low enough so that I can hear the Captain: "Stop sign." "Stand." "Car back." And my favorite "More power!" which he uses quite often. (I guess he views me as a turbocharger.)
Flash back to last evening: just relaxing after dinner after a l-o-n-g week, reading the newspaper, glancing up at the television - James Bond "A View to a Kill" - scene with a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the dirigible. Bond seizes hold of the mooring rope, so Zorin tries to dislodge and kill 007 by pounding him against the side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Bond manages to wrap the mooring rope around a girder. Zorin demands that his pilot pull away, shouting "More! More power! More! Do it!"
My jaw dropped, my eyes widened, and I burst out laughing. I queried Hermes if he stole that line from the James Bond flick. He sheepishly admitted that he had. So all this time, Captain Hermes was knowingly spoofing this great "More power" James Bond scene and I was clueless.